Sunday, March 29, 2009

Why I started this blog?

This blog is dedicated to providing information of my experiences with VMware, Windows, Exchange Server, Citrix and some of my personal interests.

I was inspired to start this blog by one of my clients. We had just upgraded our ESX servers from 3.5 update 1 to update 3. We discovered that when upgrading the VM Tools on the VM’s the upgrade does not hold your settings from the prior install. Since we run ovrer 50 XenAPP Server VM’s on ESX 3.5 hosts we had actually created a problem by upgrading our VMTools. The value hgfs is added to the VM when you enable VMware shared folders, choose the complete install or when you re-install the VMware Tools. This creates a problem with Roaming Profiles when the WTS/XenAPP VM’s are running as VM's on ESX hosts. Since we have over 50 servers my customer asked me to write something to fix this. Therefore, I wrote a quick batch file and a registry file change to address the issue. We implemented a copy of the 2 files on a test server and then executed the process with User Manager Pro. Since we reboot the XenAPP servers nightly we covered all the bases and we were able to fix the issue quickly and before it got worse.

Although I had been told earlier by many of my colleagues and friends to do some writing, share some of my experiences and knowledge I never did it. I thought that maybe others could benefit from this information in the future so this time I did something about it! So I started this blog. I will continue to post information as acurately as I can and I will continue to try to improve on my posts, my writing and my information. I hope some of my posts help you in the future. Keep checking in!

Thanks,
Percy

No comments:

Post a Comment