Tuesday, September 25, 2018

WIndows Server 2016 VMTools installaiton with VSphere 5.5 host

How to get the VMTools properly installed on W2K16 Server running onVSphere.5.5
First of all yes I know that VSphere 5.5. is not officially supported anymore. However, for lab purposes I often have to do what I have to do :-) to do my testing. I am also aware that this may be old news but as I run into new scenarios I like to post a simple fix if I can.
When you install the new Windows 2016 VM you will have to choose Windows 2012 (64bit) as your operating system. Note: You do not have a choice to select 2016 as the server OS>
VCenter will show that the VMTools are not running on your Windows 2016 server however, you have already installed them -What to do?
No worries it is a simple thing-
Uninstall VMTools and Reboot the Windows 2016 Server
Install the VMTools as Administrator another words right-click on the VMTools setup64.exe and select Administrator and then reboot the Windows 2016 server. VCenter will now display that the VMTools are running on the Windows 2016 server- Success!.

No comments:

Post a Comment